I’m often asked about teeth whitening and what option is best, and the answer depends specifically on how quickly you’d like to transform your smile (and the amount of money you’d like to spend). There are a number of techniques available which I’ll detail below:
- Over the Counter Whitening Strips: Over-the-counter (OTC) whitening systems, such as Crest Whitestrips, use hydrogen peroxide as their active ingredient. This is the same active ingredient used in many of the professional tooth whitening systems but in a much lower concentration. This gel does whiten teeth but its relatively low strength takes significantly more applications and takes longer than the higher strength professional systems.
- Disposable trays: Prefilled teeth whitening trays are good for those looking for convenient whitening as an alternative to over-the-counter teeth whitening kits. The tray comes prefilled with whitening gel and offers a comfortable fit and can be worn right out of the package. Like OTC strips, this method of whitening is not as quick as professional options.
- Custom Whitening Trays: For this type of whitening, we take an impression of your teeth to create custom trays that fit perfectly in your mouth, making them very comfortable to wear. You can use your custom trays from the convenience of your own home. Your teeth won’t likely be as white as you’d like after your first use, but you can use the trays as needed over time until you get to the shade you desire. We always have additional bleaching agent on hand so you can pick more up at your next visit or if you’re just passing by our office.
- GLO System Whitening: The GLO Heat and LED Light Whitening Mouthpiece is the only at-home teeth whitening device to use patented heat and light technology for faster results without causing sensitivity. It also works fast with each application lasting only eight minutes. It connects wirelessly to the GLO Whitening App so you can schedule your session reminders and track your progress. It’s also safe to use on crowns, bridges, and veneers.
- Zoom In-Office Whitening: Zoom whitening is one of the fastest ways to whiten. A hydrogen peroxide solution is applied to the teeth. Then, an overhead light produces UV rays that help to break down the solution. Oxygen is released from the hydrogen peroxide as the solution breaks down and it enters the enamel of your teeth, helping them to whiten quickly. One Zoom session can get your teeth up to eight shades whiter in an hour or less.
Finding the right whitening system depends a lot on your personal priorities. Feel free to contact me so we can discuss what’s most important to you. Together we can start your journey to whiter teeth.
Call Debbie at 440.354.0705 for more information or to schedule a complimentary teeth whitening consultation.
Patrick J. Soria, DDS